Photo credit: Steve A Johnson on Visual Hunt / CC BY
Fall is the time to enjoy fresh root vegetables. Here is a twist on classic hash browns that can be a delicious new addition to any breakfast or brunch.
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Optional – diced chives
- Use a grater to grate the sweet potato.
- Toss shredded sweet potato with salt and pepper and chill, uncovered, one hour.
- Place shredded sweet potato in a tea towel or cheese cloth and squeeze out all excess moisture.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of butter in a cast iron pan and add ½ of the sweet potatoes. Brown for 3-4 minutes. Flip and cook additional 3-4 minutes or until desired crispiness.
- Repeat with with 2 tablespoons of butter and second ½ of sweet potatoes.
- Top with salt and pepper to taste and diced chives.