These spinach balls make an excellent appetizer. They can be made ahead and warmed up another time. You can even freeze them with parchment paper between the layers. Experiment with different types of herbs and cheese.
6 cup fresh spinach leaves trimmed (will make 2/3 cup once cooked and squeezed)
3 cup boiling water
½ cup grated cheese (cheddar, parmesan or mozzarella)
¼ cup fresh herbs chopped (basil, oregano, parsley, etc.)
1 cup panko bread crumbs
½ teaspoon salt
1-2 garlic cloves, minced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Trim and wash the spinach. Place the leaves in a bowl and cover them with boiling water. Cover the leaves and wait approximately 3 minutes.
- Rinse the spinach with cold water and squeeze it to get all the water out. Chop the squeezed spinach and put in a mixing bowl.
- Add eggs, cheese, herbs, panko crumbs, salt and minced garlic.
- Mix and create balls. Place balls on parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 350F for 15-20 minutes or until golden.